About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Other Half

I recently reconnected with my high school best friend via Facebook. We're the type who will be friends forever, even if we fall out of each other's orbits from time to time. We used to live together in Boston right before I moved to New York and she married her high school sweetheart. For a few years there, we were occasional emailers. I would think of her often but our lives are so different now. She moved to a tiny town in New Mexico to be near the Air Force base where her husband is a fighter pilot. I live in one of the biggest cities in the world and haven't had a significant relationship for a year. I have no idea what it must be like for her to have compromised like that - and she has no idea what it's like to eek by on a fashion salary in a terribly materialistic industry in a terribly expensive city.

We started emailing with more regularity a few months ago. I told her what it was like to have your heart broken (thankfully she never experienced it). She told me what it was like to live in a town where you know no one. And then one day, she wrote me an incredible email full of her deep fears regarding her husband's deployment and their future. I was floored. She was concerned that her husband might not make it back from Afghanistan alive, and that they may not have a chance at a family, and I was concerned about... what? My closet space?

I immediately booked a ticket to come visit her and keep her company during his deployment. She warned me that it was the smallest town ever "They don't even have a Target!" she said. Ahh, suburbia. It was the perfect antidote to my NY cynicism. She has the most incredible house with a full guest room & guest bathroom. They have two cars. There is no wait at the manicure salon (though, it was quite a struggle to get them to make my nails super short and sans acrylic). Margaritas are five dollars. Everyone is really nice. The streets are SO QUIET. It was perfect.

We played with her dog, got a little drunk, and spent a lot of time going through our yearbooks and gossiping. I left feeling more like myself than I had in a long time. Amazing how a place so completely different from your life can make you feel right at home.

*scorpio*

No comments:

Post a Comment