About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Get Me To The Greek

Last night was my third date with Jason. He'd just returned from Sundance, and it kind of felt like he was gone for too long - even though it was only a week.

He picked me up at 7 and we drove to Astoria, to have a night of Greek culture. First, we checked out a Greek Orthodox church (where I learned all about the Catholic/Greek Orthodox schizm of 300 AD). Then we popped into a local Greek shop and taste tested different olives while he spoke Greek with the owners. I even learned a new word: Kalinixta (pronounced Kal - lee -NEE - hta). It means 'Good Night'. I learned a few others, but I don't have his aptitude for language and promptly forgot them. So 'learned' is a relative term.

Then we sat down to an incredible Greek dinner at this super-packed restaurant called Kuklades, where he picked a bunch of things off the menu and surprised me. We started with Saganaki-Tiri, this awesome baked cheese with lemon (so freaking good!). Then we had Htapothi sti Skhara, which is grilled octopus with cucumber... I was a little nervous to try it, but it was quite good, not at all chewy like it is in sushi restaurants. We finished up with Garides Santorini, which is grilled shrimp in tomato and feta. Of course, there was also pita and tzatziki.

We lingered over the food for three hours (until we were the last people there!), talking about our families, travels, and relationship issues. Since he's the son of therapists, he's able to really express himself emotionally - something I'm not used to in a partner. As a result, we end up having these really honest and compelling conversations. I told him about my fear of commitment and proclivity towards dating the emotionally crippled. He said he did the same thing - and then we analyzed why. To some people that might be like having a root canal, but it's so fun for us... and so refreshing. He ends up expanding my mind in so many ways. And he said that he loves that I am not in his field, and can teach him new things about the fashion world. I started talking about the couture exhibit at the Met and how it was my all-time favorite. He asked when it was, and when I said April, he didn't skip a beat when he said, "Great, we should go! I would love to see that with you."

In the car on the way home, he mentioned that he'll be in town this weekend, puppy sitting for a friend. Since our big problem is where we can go to be alone together, this seems like a great opportunity. (Plus, he said he'd cook me French food!!) Unfortunately, due to my insane dating schedule, I am busy on Friday night. Still, I'm seriously tempted. I told him I would be over for dessert... he's making ramequins fondantes au chocolat. In the morning, he'll drive me to my car so I can begin the roadtrip with my girlfriends up to Boston.

I'm a lucky girl.

*scorpio*

No comments:

Post a Comment