About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Overkill

At a certain point yesterday, I realized I'd gone over capacity and into the world of diminishing returns. Luke called me asking for a date this weekend (this baby shower is really getting in the way of my dating life!) When I told him I was out of town, he asked me out for tomorrow night... but I was busy. Then he asked about tonight... I was busy. I said, "I really do want to see you again, how's early next week?" Then I realized, I am booked through Wednesday of next week!

Jason, on Tuesday, asked me to come over on Friday to sample his French cooking. I said I would try, only before realizing that I can't exactly cut and run on my date midway through the meal.

I had two dates last night because Johan wanted to see me this week - double booking in a snowstorm is NOT recommended.

I've realized, I'm turning down dates with the guys I really want to see (the three above) for guys I don't even know yet (the two below). This is crazy! I end up spending those dates thinking about the guys I want to see & I am no longer able to have the same stat-sharing first date convo any longer. I felt like I was totally phoning it in on the second of my two dates last night... not good for anyone, and it certainly doesn't make me feel like a good person.

I have some rather difficult phone calls ahead of me...

But on to the dates!

The first one, at 6:30 was Daniel. I actually met him in person (imagine that!) and he tracked me down via Facebook. After friending me, he asked for a date, which I finally got around to making last week. I met him at Reuion Surf Bar for some insanely delicious apps (try the fish tacos, otherworldly I swear!) It was fun to be in a surf bar during a snowstorm, and he turned out to be a rather charming date. He produces television - think Amish documentaries and reality TV. It was definitely fun, and he certainly has some imaginative ideas: corn maze, anyone? Plus, he's quite tall. I'm just not sure if the attraction is there for me.

Then I dashed off in the snow to the second date, Andrew, at Monday Room. When I got out of the delayed subway, I got a call from SAVI telling me that I was on-call tonight. I told the woman that I was called in on Monday and that we all only work once or twice a month, tops. I'm on the phone with her as I'm walking to the date, and of course by the time I get there I am totally frazzled. I have to make a series of phone calls to figure out why I am on the list and if in fact I have to go in, while he waits patiently. I felt so badly about being rude, but I didn't want to ignore my responsibilities. Turns out, I was right and didn't need to go in. Still, not a great first impression.

We sat down to a dirty martini - but before we did I noticed that while he said he was 6'2", he was actually, maybe 5'10". What is going on!??? It's like, they lie about their height no matter what? I'm now patently refusing to date anyone under 6'4". Still, he was quite attractive and obviously very successful, but I was exhausted and ended up barely bringing my B game. Poor guy. We left about an hour later and the entire street was different... covered in snow, and totally quiet. We walked in the freezing snow for a while before he gallantly chased down a cab for us. I thanked him for the martini and the ride, but I doubt he'll be calling me again!

When I got home, I texted with Luke about his show - which apparently was only a block from my house. I found myself once again wishing I weren't wasting my time when my heart is obviously already preoccupied!

*scorpio*

2 comments:

  1. Didn't you say a couple of times that you were already booked, but some guy was persistent, and you gave in and overbooked yourself? If that's true, you really have to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, exactly! I realized it's my feminine need to please, which is silly because I don't know these guys & like you said - I don't owe them anything. So I'm getting better at saying No, which is also great practice.

    ReplyDelete