About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Response to reader Annalee


Annalee commented on my Stranger Danger post, requesting tips for young women in the city. My thoughts -

+ At night, when walking home, I glance at the reflections in shop windows to see if anyone is following me. I turn my iPod off. There's been a rash of crime recently on Christopher street - pedestrians are thumped in the back of the head & robbed.

+ I always check around the area before entering my building. The vestibule between the two entry doors can become an easy place for a targeted attack - it happened to a college girlfriend once in Brooklyn.

+ I never have men I am casually dating meet me at my apartment, in fact I never even tell them the cross streets until I feel very comfortable. I once had a stalker; I stand by my right to be discreet.

+ When in doubt, do not engage. I make it a point to not make eye contact while commuting as some men view this as an invitation. (See: Pink Cadillac)

+ I often ignore men who try to get my attention, especially when alone - perhaps they are just asking directions or the time... or perhaps they are preparing to rob/assault me. I'd rather be wrong than wronged.



If any of these sound harsh or rude or unkind, may I remind you that young ladies are socialized to always be likeable, polite, and accomodating. Ted Bundy played masterfully on this socialization, often pretending to be handicapped so the victim would help him into his van, or offering to assist her with her groceries up the stairs. Those women were not rewarded for their good grooming.

In summation, New York is a pretty safe place... but for women, a heightened sense of what's happening around us is necessary.

Listen to your gut, not your friends.

*scorpio*

No comments:

Post a Comment