About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

My first call with SAVI

I woke up every hour on the hour under massive anxiety that I would miss a trauma call. Thirty minutes before my shift was going to end I received a call....sexual assault, victim was brought in by the police. With little details to go on, I raced into SAVI mode, trying to follow all protocol.

I was in the ER with a survivor of rape & sexual assault from 7:55am until 2pm. She was badly beaten and in a state of shock. I cannot give any details out of respect and confidentiality. I gave her my all and watched as her strength, hope, and confidence returned. It was almost like watching someone die and come back to life. I know she has a long road ahead of her and can only hope SAVI will be a healing tool for her.

She will always be someone I think about in this truly profound volunteer opportunity.

*Aries*

No comments:

Post a Comment