About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Gender bias

On Monday night, I was on-call with SAVI. While I can't go into specifics, I will say that it was a different challenge, since the survivor was a man.

I was initally nervous that he would be angry or ashamed - since female to male violence is more rare. I couldn't have been more wrong. He was such a sweet and mild-mannered man, and he seemed genuinely glad to have me there.

At one point he asked, "Is this a serious crime? When the police came I thought they were going to arrest me since it's usually the man."

I explained that it is definitely a serious crime because no human should be treated that way, and he had the same rights as a female. At that point, I felt foolish for having been nervous - just as I had told him, the gender doesn't matter.

*scorpio*

No comments:

Post a Comment