About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Monday, October 4, 2010

A Little Perspective



It was a cool, rainy morning in New York. As I sloshed through the crowded streets to work, I glanced at a blurb on the New York Times. It was about the UN's lack of control over the rebels in the Congo. As soon as I logged on at my desk I read the article below. The article ended with this line, haunting and heartbreaking:

“I know, I still look sick,” she said, though her cloudy eyes tried to smile as she spoke. “Just a few vegetables, that’s all I’ve eaten, since I was demolished.”
- Anna Mburano

I learned that Anna is an 80 year old woman who was gang raped as her village was torn apart in Congo. She was just one of hundreds of women who suffered that night. They are helpless to these violent men and that should be terrifying for all women around the world.

Please make yourself aware and read this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/world/africa/04congo.html?hp

*Aries*

No comments:

Post a Comment