About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wishful Thinking




Last week, we attended New Museum opening of Rivane Neuenschwander's exhibit 'A Day Like Any Other'. After nabbing some complimentary pineapple margaritas, we entered a ribbon-filled room (I Wish Your Wish). Along two walls, colored ribbons were stuffed into small holes, creating a multi-colored waterfall effect. On each ribbon, a wish was typed. Some were daring: I Wish To Find The Strength To Divorce My Husband. Some were fun: I Wish For Sex and Money. Some were trite: I Wish For Peace On Earth, or sweet: I Wish To Marry My Soulmate.

We walked the walls slowly, tilting our heads to search for just the right wish. The instillation encouraged visitors to find a wish that spoke to them and secure that ribbon around their wrist. In return, each visitor was to elaborate on their wish or create a new one on a small slip of paper, and place it in the now-vacant slot.

Of course, we took the instillation very seriously, painstakingly considering each option as if the slip of colored ribbon would determine our fates. At one point, a man started following Aries along the wall, watching her. I stood back and watched. She was crouched on the ground, furtively writing her wish on the small slip of paper (utilizing all possible corners!). He stood over her, asking obvious questions to jump start the conversation. Aries, thinking that he was surely looking at her wish (I told you we took this seriously), tried to dismiss him. He didn't take to her hints, but I knew as soon as she stood up, he would be gone.

She slowly begins to stand-and she keeps standing-far surpassing him in height. I can see his head tilt upwards, almost in disbelief. I look on, enjoying his awkward attempts to truncate the conversation.

With our wishes secured, we had just enough time to zip through the other floors and mingle on the roof before closing.


One week later: My wish is perfectly intact. It's going to be a long time before it comes true.

*scorpio*

No comments:

Post a Comment