About Me

My photo
Two five-ten blondes fighting against the stereotype to find love, success, and a way to pay the rent. *** We're passionate about our seriously stressful careers in the apex of the luxury fashion world. (No, it's not like the Devil Wears Prada- our Devils only wear custom and pay for their anonymity.) *** We're on the search for the elusive 'great' guy (who must be intimidated because we can't find him anywhere). Being 5'10" and blonde is a double-edged sword. Our stories are fucking ridiculous. *** Fortunately and unfortunately for us, we share the same story as millions of women who have been violated: we are determined to make a difference in the lives of women who have seen too much. *** WELCOME TO OUR WORLD.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

THE FLU

I am glad Scorpio has been busy and entertaining our readers because I have been cocooned in my new silk down comforter since Sunday night. Of coarse this lovely and extremely expensive duvet cover has now endured hours of feverish chills and night sweats. I have been confined to my "layer" by THE FLU, the real deal that they warn you to get shots for. The last time I recall being this sick was back in the 5th grade. I noticed myself longing for my mom to appear with fried egg on toast, Advil, Gatorade, anything. Instead, I realized a big downside to being single is not having anyone really have your best interest in mind. I was so weak it took me 4 hours
to will myself out of bed to walk half a block to get more water and juices. Luckily, there is Seamlessweb.com. Like a true New Yorker, I have been ordering in all meals.

My one big adventure out of bed was to get to the doctor's office, the day AFTER a giant snowstorm! I was literally climbing snow banks just to get to the end of my block.






The few cars that were on the roads ended up gliding on the ice and snow. I had to get from the West Village to the Upper East Side by foot and subway, when I barely had the strength to stand for 5 minutes. I had to kneel on the subway platform twice because I felt like I was going to faint. I reflected on the book I was reading Even Silence Has An End by Ingrid Betancourt, where Ingrid reveals her mental strength and anguish towards her physical surroundings. Obviously, walking to the doctor's office in the snow is not the same as being held in the jungle for 6 years, but in the grips of a severe flu any movements can feel like your life or death. I was really put to the test when they told me I had to walk 12 more blocks (the long ones) to get an x-ray. I was suddenly thankful that my parents never took me up north as a child. I was walking in a winter wonderland with disgust, even sneering at a snowman that someone built in the middle of Park Avenue.



I finally made it home and collapsed in my bed, where I remain still (2 days later). I took pictures out of boredom waiting for my prescription at Rite Aid. I usually go to Duane Reade, but couldn't walk that far. I had to sit in the store for 45 minutes because I knew if I left I wouldn't be able to walk back. So I picked up a few items that actually sounded good (Lucky Charms, Twizzlers, Goldfish) and winced at the smooth jazz that buzzed in the speakers above my head. I can still relive the moment like a flu flashback....me bundled in a down coat staring blankly thru my massive shades, sitting in a sad little pharmacy "waiting room". The BeeGees were squealing their way thru some song about emotions while I entertained myself by looking at Christmas wrapping paper, that was now 90% off, and an employee fighting to stock the Valentine's Day candy. That was really the only outside action I can share from my week (depressing).





I am finally feeling the light at the end of this miserable germ ridden tunnel. I just missed a week full of opportunity. I had something important to do every night of this week, but that was probably my downfall to catching the flu in the first place. I have been going out every night without eating due to stress. At this point I could be 10 pounds lighter? So it caught up to me and my body basically took a mandatory vacation from my damaging ways. Lesson learned, although I have been cooped up for so long that in my excitement for socializing I have already started filling up next week.

*Aries*

No comments:

Post a Comment